Noun(1) the cardinal number that is the sum of four and one(2) one of a pair of decorations projecting above the rear fenders of an automobile(3) one of a set of parallel slats in a door or window to admit air and reject rain(4) a shoe for swimming; the paddle-like front is an aid in swimming (especially underwater(5) a stabilizer on a ship that resembles the fin of a fish(6) organ of locomotion and balance in fishes and some other aquatic animals
Verb(1) equip (a car(2) propel oneself through the water in a finning motion(3) show the fins above the water while swimming
(1) There it is to undergo refurbishments, including repairs to a stabiliser fin damaged in transit.(2) The only obvious changes to the airframe are the new canopy and the taller fin extended back over the rudder.(3) He noticed that the gun fire had damaged what looked like a stabilization fin .(4) The center fin was a fixed surface, extending vertically above the stabilizer at the center line of the airplane.(5) Finally, several authors have suggested that a fin closing against the body may result in thrust due to the acceleration of a jet of fluid behind the fish.(6) Allowing a swimmer to use a fin would send a message that his impairment is a disability and not just a characteristic of who he is as a person.(7) When the pilot applied the brakes, the plane went forward on to its nose and turned upside down, causing serious damage to the aircraft nose and fin .(8) You can see in the photos it's got a little tail fin .(9) A double-stepped bottom reduces the wetted surface area while above the water a fin at the rear stabilises the boat against cross-winds.(10) On the way back, I spotted a fin breaking the surface.(11) Looking closely at the fins you'll see that Hush's attention to detail is admirable, with each fin ridged for ultimate heat exchange.(12) Years later when the definitive fin / rudder was retrofitted to this aircraft, these fairings remained unchanged.(13) Then we saw the triangular fin of what appeared to be a shark.(14) It was at that time that another depth charge exploded close to the aft starboard fin .(15) But so long as the whale shark made no discernible attempt to propel itself through the water I could, by finning vigorously, just about keep pace.(16) Little protrudes in front of you, so the chest area is left clear for easy access to important equipment, and your legs don't bang and crash against the cylinders while finning .
(1) dorsal fin :: asgell ddorsal
(2) shark fin :: esgyll siarc
(3) shark fin soup :: cawl esgyll siarc
(4) tail fin :: asgell gynffon
(5) pectoral fin :: asgell pectoral
(6) fin whale :: morfil asgell
(7) caudal fin :: asgell ben cynffonog
(8) shark's fin :: esgyll siarc yn
(9) yellow-fin tuna :: tiwna melyn-asgell
(10) pelvic fin :: asgell pelfis
1. flipper ::
3. quintet ::
4. tail fin ::
5. break water ::
fin, finer, finest, finial, finials, finical, fins
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
And worst of all, Fin Fang Foom.
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 16
English to Welsh Dictionary: fin
Meaning and definitions of fin, translation in Welsh language for fin with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of fin in Welsh and in English language.
Tags for the entry "fin"
What fin means in Welsh, fin meaning in Welsh, fin definition, examples and pronunciation of fin in Welsh language.