Adjective(1) showing regard for others in manners, speech, behavior, etc.(2) marked by refinement in taste and manners(3) not rude; marked by satisfactory (or especially minimal
(1) He heard a young comedian being interviewed on the radio the other day and is far too polite to name him.(2) When guests visit you, it is polite to welcome them with kind words and serve them what you have.(3) If you are going into a bar or pub, with a woman is it more polite to let them go first, or to go first yourself to check that the place is safe?(4) She's too polite to tell him to shut up and go away, so we put up with him.(5) It seemed only polite to say goodnight with a kiss, just between friends.(6) The reaction of polite society to this extraordinary work was one of astonishment.(7) And the phrase ├ö├ç├┐national interest├ö├ç├û should never be mentioned in polite society.(8) You could hand around evaluation forms, but many people are too polite to tell you what they really thought.(9) I think it's only polite to make the effort in the local language even if everyone does seem to speak English.(10) Yes, but in polite society, one does not hear of this.(11) Looks of despair flashed across all of their faces, but to their credit they were too polite to outwardly groan.(12) There are still some things that cannot be talked about in polite society.(13) Over the years he built a pagoda to polite English society as it faded in the glare of post-war vulgarity.(14) In the mind of a desperate prisoner you sometimes find genius that is seldom recognized in more polite society.(15) I myself forgot about these issues and most people are too polite to mention them.(16) He was extremely polite to his opponents and often took up cudgels for them too.
(1) be polite :: bod yn gwrtais
(2) very polite :: gwrtais iawn
(3) polite society :: cymdeithas gwrtais
(4) polite expression :: mynegiant gwrtais
1. well-mannered ::
2. civilized ::
3. civil ::
1. discourteous ::
2. ill-mannered ::
3. impolite ::
4. inconsiderate ::
5. rude ::
6. uncivil ::
polite, politely, politeness
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Why be POLITE to the world's leading
expert on the dung beetle?
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 2
- Here he comes.
- Right. Be POLITE.
The Big Bang Theory Season 10, Episode 9
I was only being POLITE.
Pemberton is a grade A weasel.
The Big Bang Theory Season 12, Episode 21
Were the Romans POLITE
when they salted Carthage...
The Big Bang Theory Season 1, Episode 13
it's also POLITE to make sure
you're well-groomed down there.
The Big Bang Theory Season 12, Episode 2
English to Welsh Dictionary: polite
Meaning and definitions of polite, translation in Welsh language for polite with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of polite in Welsh and in English language.
Tags for the entry "polite"
What polite means in Welsh, polite meaning in Welsh, polite definition, examples and pronunciation of polite in Welsh language.